Cream Cheese Wontons
Confession: Sometimes I buy Chinese food just for the wontons. I found this recipe and thought, “really, how hard could this be?”. Apparently it was harder than I thought, or more specifically, it exceeded my skill set. But to my credit, nearly burning down my house didn’t keep me from trying again after I set the first batch on fire. With that said, don’t be intimidated – now that I understand where I went wrong (and you have the benefit of learning from my mistakes) I would totally make these again.
- Lightly grease (or spray with non-stick cooking spray) a cutting board or cookie sheet.
- Lay out 12 wonton wrappers on a clean surface.
- Add a teaspoon of cream cheese in the center of the wrapper and wet the edges of the wrapper with a little bit of water (just enough to make it stick).
- Cinch the edges together, ensuring that you squeeze out all of the air.
- Put the finished wonton on the greased cookie sheet and cover with a clean, damp towel to keep them moist while you make the rest of your wontons.
- Heat 1” of olive oil to 350 degrees F in a skillet or frying pan.
I’ll be honest here – I have no idea how you heat something on a stovetop to 350 degrees. If you actually know how, you can disregard this – if you don’t, read on but I will not guarantee the outcome. I originally heated the oil on high heat for 10 minutes or so – when I put the wontons in, I thought my kitchen was going to catch on fire. Fail.
After I cleared out the smoke, I lowered the temperature to the center of low and middle heat. This was still a bit hot, but I think that is because it hadn’t cooled off all of the way. So, I think if you heat the oil on mid-heat just until a sprinkle of flour sizzles, you should be okay.
- Once your oil is at the desired heat, put the wontons in the oil and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Flip over the wontons and keep frying for an additional 1-1.5 minutes, or until they begin to brown evenly and turn crispy.
- Remove from the oil using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with chili sauce or another dipping sauce of your choice.
Printer Friendly PDF: Cream Cheese Wontons
I found this recipe here: http://easywontonrecipe.com/cream-cheese-wonton-recipes/